Sunday, May 11, 2014

A Mother's Day Story: One of those unforgettable days from my youth

As families around the world celebrate Mother's Day today, I would like to share a story from my youth.

Many years ago when I was about 12 years old (give or take) it was Mother's Day and my Mother asked me to go buy flowers for my Grandmother. At first, like many children, I resisted but with a stern glance I was quickly motivated to my bike where I set off for the market. I remember it to be a beautiful Spring day; sunny and just on the edge of warm.

As I arrived at the market, the parking lot was totally empty bar one car sitting alone in the middle. Like a beam from heaven it was a bright yellow Dino 206GT. At the time I was not hugely knowledgeable about the subtle differences in Dinos but I immediately identified the exposed fuel filler and wood rim steering wheel that made me sure that it was a 206.

Transfixed with rapture I just stood there visually taking in as much as I could knowing that this encounter would serve as inspirational fuel for decades to come. After a while of staring a grey haired gentleman appeared almost from nowhere, slipped effortlessly into the drivers seat, awoke the engine, and powered away. To this day I remember that moment like it was yesterday and it is one of my most vivid childhood memories.

With my ocular cup overflowing and the flowers purchased I raced home to tell the tale of my sighting. Needless to say that it was my brother Paul who took the greatest interest and to this day we still talk of that sunny day in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment